Creating Pathways Plus to Success is founded on a vision in which all students leave secondary school with a clear plan for their initial post-secondary destination, whether in apprenticeship training, college, community living, university, or the workplace, and with confidence in their ability to implement, and revise or adapt, their plan throughout their lives as they and the world around them change. This vision sees students as the architects of their own lives.
The goals of the education and career/life planning program are to:
• ensure that students develop the knowledge and skills they need to make informed education and career/life choices through the effective application of a four-step inquiry process;
• provide opportunities for this learning both in and outside the classroom;
• engage parents and the broader community in the development, implementation, and evaluation of the program, to support students in their learning. To achieve these goals, every elementary and secondary school, under the direction of the principal and with the assistance of key staff and students, will develop, document, implement, and evaluate an education and career/life planning program based on the policies outlined in this document.
Beliefs about Student Success
What students believe about themselves and their opportunities, and what their peers and the adults in their lives believe about them, significantly influence the choices students make and the degree to which they achieve their goals. The education and career/life planning program policy for Oxford Academy School is based on three core beliefs, namely, that;
• all students can be successful;
• success comes in many forms;
• there are many pathways to success.
Our Pathway Plus staff is committed to ensuring that every student has a successful school experience. When schools and parents work together our students are motivated and engaged.
Parents/guardians are encouraged to support students in exploring courses and program offerings at Oxford Academy as a way to start Pathways Plus Career/Life Planning. The framework of the Education and Career/Life Planning Program is a four-step inquiry process where students will continually explore, assess and reassess personally meaningful responses to the four key questions of Career/Life Planning below:
Who am I?
- What are my interests and abilities?
- What are my traits and values?
- What am I passionate about and what inspires me?
What are my opportunities?
- What high school courses, programs and extracurricular activities are available to me?
- What education and training opportunities are available after high school (apprenticeship, college, university and the workplace)?
- What fields of work exist and what occupations are within them?
- How can I find out more about these opportunities?
- What new things do I want to try?
- What certifications do I need to investigate?
Who do I want to become?
- What are my hopes and dreams for the future?
- What are some things I want to accomplish after leaving high school?
- What are my goals?
- What does "success" mean to me?
What are my plans to achieve my goals?
- What steps should I take to help me achieve my goals?
- What resources can help me plan my own pathway?
- Who can support me in achieving my goals?