Who Can Provide Counseling?

  • High School Counselor
  • High School IEP Counselor
  • Chenango County Drug and Alcohol Abuse Counselor
  • Catholic Charities Counselor

In addition to the high school counselor and IEP counselor, there are counselors from Catholic Charities and Chenango County Alcohol and Drug Abuse Council who may work individually with students.



Referral Process:


Counseling referrals for social, emotional, and/or behavioral concerns should be made using the form found under the “Related Links” section.  If the concern is more of a academic, attendance, disciplinary and/or school performance issue then an SST referral should be made.


Please note: not every referral will result in individual and/or group counseling. 


It is very important to be specific and attempt to identify a specific emotional, social, or behavioral need or deficiency when referring a student for counseling (i.e. a referral that simply states “Johnny needs help getting his grades up” is not specific enough and therefore may not warrant counseling services). If you have questions about what constitutes a “good” referral see the school counselor.


After a referral is made, a plan of action will be developed by the counselor with the help of the parent/guardian and teacher(s) combined possibly with a student observation.



Information for Parents:


High school counselors may be required to attend to the personal/social needs of students either in times of crisis or when identified by parents or teachers as needing extra prevention/intervention services. 


Every effort will be made to notify the parents/guardians if a counselor will be meeting with students outside of a time of crisis.  Notification may be made by phone and/or a letter home notifying parents/guardians that a counselor will be working with your child. 


Once a notification letter is sent to parents/guardians, consent will be assumed unless parents decline counseling by notifying the guidance office at 607-843-2025 ext 1302.





In order for a counselor to work effectively with students, it is important that students can trust a counselor to keep certain conversations and information confidential.  As a result, counselors will not normally divulge confidential communications unless the student is notified first and usually only if the student is in danger or if other students are in danger.  If you have questions about the limits and exceptions to confidentiality contact the school counselor at 607-843-2025 ext 1302.

View text-based website